Waterford Country School’s Adoption Program works with the Connecticut Department of Children & Families (DCF) to provide in-home support services for state foster children who are transitioning to a permanent living situation. Most of the time, this means transitioning from foster care to adoption. This might also include helping children in foster care transition back to their biological families. Through DCF’s “Permanency Placement Services Program (PPSP)”, social workers from WCS work with state foster children and their foster and adoptive families, as well as their biological families. Services include:
- Preparing children for adoption or moving back with their biological family
- Recruiting and screening potential adoptive parents
- Helping children create a Lifebook
- Transitioning children into their permanent living situation
- Supervising the home after the child is in placement
Through the Adoption Assistance Program, in-home support services are also available to adoptive families after the adoption has been finalized.